JMI Laboratories (www.jmilabs.com) is a global leader in anti-infectives research, operating as a clinical reference microbiology laboratory in support of new drug development including clinical trials.
The Director of Information Technology will provide vision, leadership, and direction for all information and technology services for the company, both internally and externally facing, to meet organizational and contractual needs in a regulated environment.
This position will set the tone of how technology can best be used to deliver all products and services of the company by partnering with scientific leadership to assess laboratory informatics needs, including instrument software and interfaces, lab automation and informatics data management which includes modern genomics. Contract services to pharmaceutical clients are data driven and this is a pivotal position.
This is a hands-on position in a small company environment. The person fulfilling this role will require expert knowledge of all company information and technology systems as well as the ability to lead a team to develop and support these systems. Ability to operate in both buy and build strategic approaches will be important for success.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide leadership and strategic direction for IT development and functions for evolving microbiology laboratory, including creation of architecture roadmaps to align with corporate vision.
• Planning, implementation and management of all information assets and supporting infrastructure for the purpose of ensuring effective and efficient operating and network systems.
• Understand the capabilities of laboratory information management systems and incorporate, develop and maintain those systems to meet the laboratory requirements.
• Direct development and maintenance of internal and client website reporting and data analysis tools using fullstack software developers.
• For all technology functions, determine requirements for and demonstrate compliance with all applicable national/regulatory standards or other industry recommended guidance.
• Implement and maintain cloud computing, SaaS and other tech saving solutions.
• Liaise with the other directors and scientists to align technology with strategic business objectives.
• Develop and maintain system documentation for supported applications, including change control and validation documentation where required.
• Budgeting for all hardware, software, personnel, and contract purchases to meet demands due to continued and sustained company growth.
• Hire, regularly evaluate, and mentor technology staff.
• Directs and prioritizes the efforts of technology staff.
• Lead contingency planning, business continuity management and disaster recovery effort.
• Lead IT training and educational activities.
• Serve as the internal and external customer-facing IT advocate/expert.
• Trustworthy with high standards of personal integrity. Good self-direction and follow-through.
• Hands-on team leadership and management experience.
• Four-year degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Data Analytics.
• 10+ years of demonstrated knowledge and experience with custom software development, system administration, web site design, and database administration.
• 5+ years of working in a regulated environment, preferably in a scientific, medical/clinical or pharmaceutical company setting.
• Hands on experience with laboratory information management systems (LIMS).
• Negotiation & diplomacy skills. Ability to work with various personality types.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, strong presentation skills.
• Project management skills.
• Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
JMI Laboratories is based in North Liberty, IA and offers a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes health, dental, vacation, 401(k) and profit sharing.
If you want to contribute directly to help the world combat infectious diseases, we encourage you to send your cover letter and resume to HR@jmilabs.com.
JMI Laboratories is an equal opportunity employer.