The Manager, Medical Publications provides support for scientific publications (abstracts, posters, manuscripts, reports and other communications) generated by the internal scientific authors and outside contractors. This position will be an integral part of the data review group that provides quality assurance of documents before they are submitted to clients, medical journals and scientific conferences. The Manager, Medical Publications will oversee and participate in the project assignment and review process as an editor, develops and updates internal reports (weekly/monthly and ad hoc), and assists with coordinating publication projects across all service lines.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assume overall responsibility to track and maintain status of all publication projects while assisting with tracking project specifications, timelines, and budgets.
- As part of the data review group process, interact with scientific authors, internal and external reviewers to complete the publication to address contracted specifications or other scientific requirements.
- Provide editorial support, where needed, to the writers for suggested improvements in publications, including the ability to add or enhance the documents with charts and figures.
- Will critically review as an editor and approve final publications to make sure they meet internal formatting specifications and other external requirements (i.e., medical journal specifications for submission).
- Manage contract writers, graphic designers and interact with other client-contracted publication agencies.
- Provide oversight and input for social media needs and review and update content on company’s website.
- Perform project management tasks which includes coordination and organization of agendas and generation of summaries, timelines and action items of project meetings and teleconferences.
- Generate or review publication proposals in support of scientific authors business development activities.
- Coordinate closely with IT department to continually improve content of documents produced, and tools required to display and summarize data in publications.
- Help establish internal style guidelines, which can include formatting and language preferences, fonts, colors and other requirements for documents.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or journalism or a degree in a scientific field combined with publications job experience.
- 2+ years of related experience.
- Experience with the medical publications process including submissions and responding to reviewer comments is preferred.
- Excellent verbal, written and people communication / interaction skills.
- Strong attention to detail and exceptional follow-up skills.
- Strong initiative, sense of urgency, and commitment.
- Solid organizational and project management skills with the capacity to prioritize and multi-task.
- Expert user of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, experience with EndNote or other bibliography reference software preferred.
This is an on-site, full time position at our headquarters in North Liberty, Iowa.
If you want to contribute directly to help the world combat infectious diseases, we encourage you to send your cover letter and resume to HR@jmilabs.com
JMI Laboratories is an equal opportunity employer. No recruiters or agencies please.