JMI Laboratories is a global leader in anti-infectives research, operating as a clinical reference laboratory in support of new drug development including clinical trials.
The Medical Technologist or Microbiologist will perform microbiological laboratory work and laboratory techniques related to antimicrobial susceptibility testing to support project-specific research. Position includes performing biochemical and bacteriological tests on human bacterial pathogens.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Process incoming bacterial and fungal specimens following proper safety guidelines using appropriate PPE, label MIC panels, using appropriate testing media, and properly streak for isolation.
- Assess isolates that are received using personal judgment, knowledge of organisms, MALDI-TOF and other biochemical tests to properly identify organisms to ensure correct isolate is banked.
- Perform MALDI-TOF isolate identifications and interpret results.
- Properly pull frozen isolates from the bank for SENTRY and protocol testing.
- Prepare for susceptibility runs by performing purity checks, removing MIC panels from freezers, labeling of panels and tubes, and loosening caps on media tubes.
- Participate in all aspects of MIC testing including subbing isolates, preparing inoculums, pipetting and running inoculating instruments.
- Interpret MIC results from broth microdilution, agar dilution, disk diffusion and Etest® methodologies.
- Participate in new drug development protocols of minor complexity, such as broth microdilution testing with a simple panel design.
- Participate in the overall quality assurance program by performing QC testing and documenting results appropriately. Inform Laboratory Manager and QA department if failures are
observed and carries out recommended corrective actions.
- Provide direction to Laboratory Technicians with regard to processing specimens, susceptibility testing and pulling isolates from the bank.
- Calibrates, troubleshoots and conducts routine maintenance on laboratory instrumentation.
- Comply with applicable regulatory and safety requirements of the laboratory.
- Identify errors and problems as well as opportunities for improvement and make recommendations to the Laboratory Manager for resolution.
- Assist with writing and revising laboratory procedures according to CLSI and regulatory guidelines.
Required skills and knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree in science or a related field.
- A Medical Technology Certification (ASCP or NCA) is recommended.
- Knowledge of a wide variety of laboratory techniques; proficiency in computer operations including database and spreadsheet applications and experience in procedure or medical writing
and an understanding of laboratory test validation procedures.
- One to three or more years microbiology experience processing direct specimens, bacterial identification, and susceptibility testing is desired.
This is an on-site, full time position at our headquarters in family-friendly North Liberty, Iowa. Hours to include weekend shifts.
If you want to contribute directly to help the world combat infectious diseases, we encourage you to send your cover letter and resume to HR@jmilabs.com
JMI Laboratories is an equal opportunity employer. No recruiters or agencies please.