- Process incoming bacterial and fungal specimens following proper safety guidelines using appropriate PPE, label MIC panels, using appropriate testing media, and properly streak for isolation.
- Assess isolates that are received using personal judgment, knowledge of organisms, MALDI-TOF and other biochemical tests to properly identify organisms to ensure correct isolate is banked.
- Performs MALDI-TOF isolate identifications and interprets results.
- Properly pulls frozen isolates from the bank for SENTRY and protocol testing.
- Prepares for susceptibility runs by performing purity checks, removing MIC panels from freezers, labeling of panels and tubes, and loosening caps on media tubes.
- Participates in all aspects of MIC testing including subbing isolates, preparing inoculums, pipetting and running inoculating instruments.
- Interprets MICs results from broth microdilution, agar dilution, disk diffusion and Etest® methodologies
- Participates in new drug development protocols of minor complexity, such as broth microdilution testing with a simple panel design.
- Participates in the overall quality assurance program by performing QC testing and documenting results appropriately. Informs Laboratory Manager and QA department if failures are observed and carries out recommended corrective actions.
- Provides direction to Laboratory Assistants with regard to processing specimens, susceptibility testing and pulling isolates from the bank.
- Calibrates, troubleshoots and conducts routine maintenance on laboratory instrumentation.
- Complies with applicable regulatory and safety requirements of the laboratory.
- Identifies errors and problems as well as opportunities for improvement and makes recommendations to the Laboratory Manager for resolution.
- Assists with writing and revising laboratory procedures according to CLSI and regulatory guidelines.
Required skills and knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree in science or a related field.
- A Medical Technology Certification (ASCP or NCA) is recommended.
- Knowledge of a wide variety of laboratory techniques; proficiency in computer operations including database and spreadsheet applications and experience in procedure or medical writing and an understanding of laboratory test validation procedures.
- One to three or more years microbiology experience processing direct specimens, bacterial identification, and susceptibility testing is desired.
This is an on-site, full time position at our headquarters in North Liberty, Iowa. Hours may include weekend shifts.
If you want to contribute directly to help the world combat infectious diseases, we encourage you to submit your cover letter and resume.
JMI Laboratories is based in North Liberty, IA and offers a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes health, dental, vacation, 401(k) and profit sharing.
JMI Laboratories is an equal opportunity employer. No recruiters or agencies please.