The Molecular Scientist will perform laboratory work including various PCR techniques, sequencing and epidemiological typing methods to support project-specific research. Experience with next-generation sequencing would be optimal. Position includes performing tests on human bacterial and fungal pathogens.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Performs molecular, microbiology and epidemiology methods and testing as instructed by management and per JMI standard operating protocols and/or procedures. These methods may include, but are not limited to PCR, DNA sequencing, RNA extraction, outer membrane protein purification, and electrophoresis (including PFGE).
- Possesses keen analytical skills and accuracy to ensure the precision needed when conducting molecular scientific experiments. As conclusions will be drawn based solely on data
generated by the individual, the individual must have critical thinking skills, sound reasoning and objectivity.
- Keeps detailed experimental records, summarizing results and assisting in their interpretation.
- Investigates and resolves problems concerning testing and procedures under guidance of managers and directors.
- Monitors equipment performance, diagnoses malfunctions and initiates service requests.
- Monitors quality control, quality assurance and implements corrective actions for effectiveness.
- Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation training program for the laboratory.
- Participates in the review, revision and implementation of standard operating procedures.
Required skills and knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree in science or a related field.
- One to three or more years laboratory, microbiology experience is desired.
- Knowledge of a wide variety of laboratory techniques, including DNA extraction, PCR (standard and Real-time), gel electrophoresis, DNA sequencing analysis, including whole genome sequencing; proficiency in computer operations including database and spreadsheet applications would be preferred.
- Good organizational skills and self-motivation are recommended.
- Familiarity using liquid-handling automation.
JMI Laboratories is based in North Liberty, IA and offers a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes health, dental, vacation, 401(k) and profit sharing.
If you want to contribute directly to help the world combat infectious diseases, we encourage you to send your cover letter and resume to HR@jmilabs.com
JMI Laboratories is an equal opportunity employer. No recruiters or agencies please.